Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) Exam & Study Group General Information
The following information helps HR Managers and organization decision-makers understand the benefits of financially supporting their Administrative Professionals in their desire to participate within the Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) Study Group, which runs from October 2019 through March 2020. The CAP Study Group, facilitated by Admin Excellence, is designed to support member administrators with passing the rigorous International Association of Administrative Professionals (IAAP) CAP Exam offered twice per year. Successful candidates can use the letters CAP behind their name. The CAP certification is the most robust administrative certification/accreditation offered within North America and the Caribbean. Earning a CAP certification credential demonstrates your aptitude as an administrative and office-support professional. It reflects your achievement and commitment to excellence through life-long learning. It’s also an investment in your career that shows employers, coworkers, customers, and clients your commitment to the profession.
For the past 5 years, Admin Excellence has led local administrative professional study groups through a 5-month knowledge retention process that focuses on the IAAP Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) Body of Knowledge (BoK) areas; the latter being the 6 testable Domain areas within the CAP exam (see below BoK detail). To date, we have coached 6 – 5-month long study cohorts resulting in 26 CAP awardee successes; All 5 members of the 3rd study group passed the CAP exam and 11 out of 16 exam takers passed the October 2018 CAP exam. If you attend 80% of the study group sessions, practice the study techniques shared and apply yourself in a disciplined way you will pass the CAP exam. Our past study group experiences have proven this.
Process / Key Information
The key work strategy within the study group is to summarize the CAP study guide and the relevant supplemental college textbook information (listed in the BoK), as the exam cannot be passed with the IAAP CAP Study Guide alone, (per IAAP). The internationally-certified CAP exam tests a wide BoK from a variety of sources, in the likes of any professional exam which enables a successful candidate to put letters behind their name (ie. Accounting, Insurance, Law). Admin Excellence provides an understandable study system for passing the CAP exam. The prerequisites for success are a hard work ethic, positive attitude, and persistence to overcome any personal challenges that interfere with one’s commitment to attend study group sessions and work with all study group materials. Consistent hard work is at the foundation of passing the CAP exam.
Study Group Meeting Schedule
Study group meeting days will be held on Thursday evenings, 5:30 to 7:00 PM in Hamilton.
– – –
Who will be leading the CAP Study Groups?
William Spriggs, CMA, CPA, CAP – An IAAP supported facilitator with many years of experience in coaching people to learn and regurgitate large amounts of information in short time periods for exam success.
In our experience, most companies pay 100% or the majority of all fees for their administrative professionals. Ongoing re-certification fees payable to IAAP are $150 per year and are usually paid for by the administrative professional or their company.
- IAAP annual membership fee: $150 (payable to IAAP)
- IAAP study guide: $144 (payable to IAAP, includes shipping)
- IAAP CAP exam fee: $375 (payable to IAAP)
- Study group fee: $1,200 (payable to Admin Excellence, covers everything a study group member will need to pass the exam)
- Total IAAP and Admin Excellence Study Group fees: $1,869
Earning and maintaining your Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) demonstrates your professional knowledge and mastery of vital competencies:
- Indicates your dedication to your profession and initiative to stay current in an ever-changing marketplace.
- Shows your employer you are a valuable member of the team committed to professional development.
- Builds invaluable personal and professional confidence.
- Provides new career opportunities and a competitive advantage over applicants without certifications.
- Allows for the potential to earn a higher salary, receive promotions, and/or bonus.
- College credit through Credit for Prior Learning (CPL)
The Four Main Components:
- A required level of experience and education.
- Passing a rigorous exam.
- Exam is not associated with a particular program or course offered by the certifying body.
- Continued professional development through specific recertification requirements.
The CAP exam is administered throughout North America and select international locations twice a year. It is based upon a professionally developed and industry vetted Body of Knowledge (BOK). The CAP Body of Knowledge has 6 domains, each with a specific Performance Outcome (PO) and is worth a designated percentage of exam content. Performance Outcomes are detailed, measurable competencies based on current best practices across a myriad of industries, which commonly employ administrative professionals.
Most POs have sub-points that help to further breakdown specific areas of competency. Certification is a cost-effective way to prove that your expertise is relevant and up to date. You’re passing the industry’s measurement of knowledge based on skill assessment and industry competency. An assessment-based professional certification is earned by meeting several requirements differentiating it from other training or educational programs.
The 6 domains represent the central and most significant information, skills, and goals the candidate should know to pass the exam.
CAP Exam Domains
- Organizational Communication 24%
- Business Writing and Document Production 22%
- Technology and Information Distribution 16%
- Office and Records Management 15%
- Event and Project Management 12%
- Operational Functions 11%
Updated CAP Exam Body of Knowledge (BoK)
The CAP Exam BoK details all of the Performance Outcomes (PO’s) that the CAP Exam sitter has to know in order to pass the exam. The BoK is organized within 6 Domain areas and presents the most up to date knowledge that an administrator should know to be highly effective within the workplace.
2020 Exam Details, Dates, and Deadlines:
- Spring 2020 Exam Dates: April 1- April 19, 2020
- Application Due Date: February 28, 2020
- Exam Scheduling Begins: March 2, 2020
- Click to view more information »
Duration and Format
- Number of questions: Approximately 300
- Format: Multiple-choice
- Length: 3 1/2 hours
- Modality: Computer-based
- Testing Provider: Assessment Systems
CAP Certification Exam
We’re getting your resources ready.
Check back with us later or sign up below to be notified when this content is released!